Tuesday, February 5, 2008

letter writing - feb. 5 08

dear whoever in the office with whom i must associate,

just because my "office" is situated in what one would traditionally call a hallway (i prefer the term one-sided cubicle) does not mean that you can just sneak up behind me and start talking to me.

first, it scares the living shit out of me when you do this because i can't see you coming (i face into the one wall of my cubicle) and you don't announce yourself; you just start talking about what you want/need (that's a whole other story... don't even get me started) me to do for you which brings us around to point number two.

don't automatically assume that i'm going to place your work at my highest priority. sure, it is rare that i have any pressing work to do but still... you know what that say about assuming... except that it mostly makes an ass out of only you. sometimes i'm working at something else and you come up and start talking to the back of my head and you expect me to just drop said something and suddenly pay full attention to you. yeah just launch right into it before i even have a chance to pay attention - that's an excellent strategy for getting me to know exactly what you want.

so please, when you come to my office, announce yourself and politely ask if i have the time would i mind working on this for you. it would make the office run a lot smoother... mostly because my spare time wouldn't be spent despising you. i have other more important things to do with my spare time.

rockets & rainbows,
jenn

No comments: