Friday, November 7, 2008

a little vomit with your breakfast?

so if you didn't hear, proposition 8 passed (marginally) in california last night and now the poo has hit the fan... some people are celebratory, and many more are just straight up pissed.

ok, so i normally don't get into this because i usually tend to babble when my head is twisted up with so many words it doesn't know up from down. but i was almost physically sick reading some of the hateful and hurtful comments made on this story... geezes! i can't even write coherently that i don't want to write about this. i'm pissed that i'm so articulate about this!

BLARGE!

here's the article i read... i'm sure there are gagillions more out there. read and be outraged at how humans treat each other. the comments are the best parts if you want to lose your stomach contents in a hurry...

"Straights are killing traditional marriage"

lots of people are speaking out in outrage and saying silly things but melissa etheridge managed to get something poignant across in her reaction:

Okay. So Prop 8 passed. Alright, I get it. 51% of you think that I am a second class citizen. Alright then. So my wife, uh I mean, roommate? Girlfriend? Special lady friend? You are gonna have to help me here because I am not sure what to call her now. Anyways, she and I are not allowed the same right under the state constitution as any other citizen. Okay, so I am taking that to mean I do not have to pay my state taxes because I am not a full citizen. I mean that would just be wrong, to make someone pay taxes and not give them the same rights, sounds sort of like that taxation without representation thing from the history books.

Okay, cool I don't mean to get too personal here but there is a lot I can do with the extra half a million dollars that I will be keeping instead of handing it over to the state of California. Oh, and I am sure Ellen will be a little excited to keep her bazillion bucks that she pays in taxes too. Wow, come to think of it, there are quite a few of us fortunate gay folks that will be having some extra cash this year. What recession? We're gay!

No comments: